Ep 37 | Danielle Desir: Making Travel a Financial Priority
Meet financially savvy traveler Danielle Desir. She is the force behind the Thought Card, an award winning travel finance blog and podcast. She is also founder of the WOC Podcasters Facebook community, which supports over 2100 women of color from 50+ countries. Danielle shares how she started traveling internationally (26 countries and counting), how she kept travel a financial priority while paying off student loans and buying a house, and her favorite travel resources and budget strategies. She also shares about becoming a podcaster, and most recently, a book author.
What You’ll Learn
- What sparked Danielle’s desire to travel
- What initially felt like her biggest travel barrier
- How she made her first solo international trip happen in 2015
- How traveled to 25 more countries – while paying off student loans and saving to buy a house
- Some of her favorite resources for cheap flights
- The story behind her travel finance blog and podcast
- Why it’s important to have an established travel fund
- Her approach to budgeting
- What led her to start the WOC Podcasters community (and her own podcast)
- Info about her travel book on Iceland
- Her suggestions for building a travel mindset and overcoming perceived and/or real obstacles
About Danielle Desir
Danielle Desir is the editor-in-chief of The Thought Card and host of The Thought Card Podcast, empowering people to make more informed financial decisions - travel more, pay off debt and build wealth. She recently released her first book, Iceland: Nature, Nurture & Adventure which shares how to plan an affordable, adventurous and culturally enriching trip. Danielle is also the founder of ‘WOC Podcasters’ (Women of Color) an inclusive community of over 2,100 women of color from 50 countries dedicated to amplifying diverse voices, sharing resources, learning and collaborating.
You can find out more about Danielle on her website, The Thought Card and connect with her on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. And don't forget to check out her two Facebook communities: Financially Savvy Travelers and WOC Podcasters.
This episode was generously sponsored by Wanderful. If you love to travel, head over to community.sheswanderful.com where you can connect with travelers from around the world. For only $5/month you'll get access to great webinars about travel (including one I recently recorded about travel hacking), hear about other resources and upcoming events, and get tips from over 2000 members. And don't forget the 2020 Women in Travel Summit - would love to see you there!
Enjoyed this episode? If so, please rate, review and subscribe as it really helps more people find the show...I would so appreciate it.
If you'd like to know more about me, you can find me via my website or on social media: @jetsetlisette.