Ep 52: What's changed in business events tourism and travel trade publishing in the past year with Karen Yue
Reality check: How far has the industry evolved since Covid-19 first hit? Professionals have switched careers, we've changed the way we consume content, human connections have become more important than ever and the entire industry has been pivoting to cope.
Karen Yue is the Group Editor at TTG Asia Media heading a team of editors, reporters and correspondents across the Asia-Pacific region. Founder of the TTG Content Lab which creates multi-platform content, Karen also oversees titles such as TTGmice, which has won several PATA accolades.
“Prior to the pandemic, travel and tourism accounted for one in four of all new jobs created across the world. international visitors’ spend amounted to 1.7 trillion US dollars in 2019. But throughout 2020, the very tough year, it suffered a loss of about 44.5 trillion to 4.7 trillion US dollars... you can see that the data is quite heartbreaking.”
“Fearless, farsighted, decisive leaders are always needed, especially in tough times. But I think people are starting to pay more attention to the hearts of leaders and to the heart of corporations… How leaders and corporations behave under challenging conditions define their reputation and influence consumer choices.”
“The luxury market is seen as the ones to lead travel revival. In fact, we have seen studies conducted by ILTM Asia-(Pacific) that the luxury travel market has continued to grow even despite the pandemic…"
- How the pandemic has changed Karen’s professional and personal life
- What makes a good mentor in the tourism and events space
- Reasons to stay in the travel and business events industry
- Pandemic impacts on travel trade magazines
- The Singaporean government’s bold endemic Covid-19 strategy and complications for travel bubbles
- Why pursue an education and career in the industry despite current challenges
- How luxury and solo travelers will lead the recovery for tourism
Karen is reading:
Neither Civil Nor Servant: The Philip Yeo Story
The Best I Could : Subhas Anandan
Connect with Karen:
LinkedIn: Karen Yue
Connect with Adelaine / Sign up for her newsletter: