Ep. 146: Police reforms in India and Beyond
Ameya Naik and host Pavan Srinath discuss long-overdue police reforms and provide a primer on how to reimagine policing in India in the 21st century, on The Pragati Podcast.
Ameya and Pavan record Episode 146 of The Pragati Podcast, at a time when there are daily reports of police brutality on minorities and peaceful protestors in the Black Lives Matter movement. Meanwhile in India, the lathi remains the default instrument of policing during the COVID-19 pandemic and during India's stringent lockdowns. This comes on the heels of many reports of excessive use of force against protestors of the CAA and NRC in late 2019 and early 2020.
Ameya Naik is trained in law, public policy, pyschology and diplomacy, and is a recurring guest on The Pragati Podcast as well as a friend of the show. Ameya is a non-resident Associate Fellow at the Takshashila Institution and wears many other hats besides that
Since Episode 142, The Pragati Podcast is now available in a new rich and interactive format that goes beyond the audio, and enables listeners to explore contextual links, take polls, and more.
Visit tinyurl.com/pragati146 and listen to this episode on your web or mobile browser, on or the IVM Podcasts Android App or the Adori iOS App for the full experience.
Suggested reading & listening:
1. Articles and reports discussed in the episode: tinyurl.com/pragati146
2. Previous episodes of Pragati featuring Ameya Naik: thinkpragati.com/tag/ameya-naik/
3. Pragati Podcast #61: Why do we elect Criminals? ivmpodcasts.com/the-pragati-podcast-episode-list/tag/vaishnav
4. Pragati #141: A 21st Century Justice Platform for India: ivmpodcasts.com/the-pragati-podcast-episode-list/2020/6/10/ep-141-a-21st-century-justice-platform-for-india
5. Pragati #114: A Bottom-Up Look at India's Judiciary: ivmpodcasts.com/the-pragati-podcast-episode-list/2019/10/2/ep-114-a-bottom-up-look-at-indias-judiciary
6. Pragati #131: The Supreme Court of in 2020: ivmpodcasts.com/the-pragati-podcast-episode-list/2020/3/11/ep-131-the-supreme-court-in-2020
The Pragati Podcast is made possible thanks to the support of The Takshashila Institution and the Independent Public-Spirited Media Foundation (IPSMF).