Ep. 24 - Shoeing a Bald Nun
It isn’t often we have occasion to employ the term “accidental self-defenestration” in an article, but that phrase certainly applies to the case of Garry Hoy, a 38-year-old lawyer with the Toronto law firm of Holden Day Wilson, who on 9 July 1993 plunged to his death from the 24th floor of the Toronto-Dominion Bank Tower building at TD Centre in front of several horrified witnesses:
Police said a lawyer demonstrating the safety of windows in a downtown Toronto skyscraper crashed through a pane with his shoulder and plunged 24 floors to his death. A police spokesman said Garry Hoy fell into the courtyard of the Toronto Dominion Bank Tower early Friday evening as he was explaining the strength of the building’s windows to visiting law students. Hoy previously had conducted demonstrations of window strength according to police reports. Peter Lauwers, managing partner of the firm Holden Day Wilson, told the Toronto Sun newspaper that Hoy was “one of the best and brightest” members of the 200-man association.
- Irish Weather Report (YouTube)
- Trump Fat-Shames His Own Supporter (YouTube)
- Chick Sexing (Wikipedia)
- Fornication (Wikipedia), for you nuns out there!
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri: Mildred vs. Father Montgomery (YouTube)
- The Case of Al Franken (The New Yorker)
Last month, in Minneapolis, I climbed the stairs of a row house to find Al Franken, Minnesota’s disgraced former senator, wandering around in jeans and stocking feet. It was a sunny day, but the shades were mostly drawn. Takeout containers of hummus and carrot sticks were set out on the kitchen table. His wife, Franni Bryson, was stuck in their apartment in Washington, D.C., with a cold, and he had evidently done the best he could to be hospitable. But the place felt like the kind of man cave where someone hides out from the world, which is more or less what Franken has been doing since he resigned, in December, 2017, amid accusations of sexual impropriety.
- Matt Damon #MeToo Statement (YouTube)
- Joker Trailer (YouTube)
- Joker: Joaquin Phoenix Lost 23 Kgs, Practiced the Laugh For ‘An Uncomfortable Amount of Time’ (News 18)
- Jared Leto Went Really Method With His Dallas Buyers Club Beauty Routine (The Cut)