Ep. 259 - LaRayia Gaston on Breaking Stigmas Around Homelessness + Healing with Radical Love
Today we are joined by the founder of the nonprofit Lunch On Me, LaRayia Gaston. Her work is powerful, her belief in people is unwavering, and today’s episode is both uplifting and heartbreaking. The Los Angeles based charity provides nutritious and organic meals to more than 10,000 people per month. Their mission is to end starvation by redistributing food that would otherwise be wasted. Through Lunch On Me, LaRayia has also created a family dynamic and is teaching people to love and respect themselves.
In our conversation, LaRayia shares how she was drawn to Mother Teresa at a young age, and how feeding the homeless was her form of tithing by fourteen years old. She describes the changes she’s seen in the homeless community by providing food, and explains the bitter truth about pharmaceuticals, street drugs, and mental health. LaRayia also shares beautiful, tear-jerking stories that show how small deeds go a long way. She encourages us to be mindful of windows of opportunity where we can not only help, but gain a shift in perspective by connecting with the homeless.
We also talk about:
- How the homeless community has impacted LaRayia
- How homelessness can be a gift
- LaRayia’s 43 days on Skid Row
- What holding space looks like for LaRayia
- Statistics for foster children and drug use
- Poverty, corruption, and race relations
- Corruption in nonprofits from government involvement
Find more to love at almost30podcast.com!
- Learn more: lunchonme.org
- Instagram: @larayia ; @lunchonme
- Donate money or supplies
- Contribute to Larayia's La Bodega Fundraiser
- October 3rd: NYC with Nikki Glaser
- October 4th: NYC with Erin Claire Jones
- October 9th: NYC with Stewart Pearce
- October 29th: Washington D.C. with Heidi Stevens
- October 30th: Philadelphia with K&L
- Kopari Beauty | Visit www.koparibeauty.com/almost30 for 20% off
- Athletic Greens | Get 20 travel packs FREE ($79 value) with your first purchase at www.athleticgreens.com/almost30
- Better Help | Visit betterhelp.com/almost30 for 15% off your first month.
- Organic Traditions | Visit organictraditions.com and use code ALMOST30 for 30% off
- Modern Fertility | www.modernfertility.com/almost30 for $20 off a purchase
Almost 30 is edited by Crate Media