Ep.071 -- Cristina Groeger -- The Education Trap: Social Mobility & Public Schools
ClassCast Podcast Ep.071, the FINAL episode of Season 2, features college professor, education enthusiast, and author Christina (Tina) Groeger, whose new book -- The Education Trap: Schools and the Remaking of Inequality. Tina and host Ryan Tibbens discuss school's limited ability to affect social inequality, how quality education relates to social mobility, project-based learning, unschooling, and much, much more. Tina is a professor at Lake Forest College, a graduate of Harvard University, and a thoughtful, sincere student of American education and its social impacts. If you are interested in equality/inequality, opportunity, the American Dream, or improving our education system, then this episode is for you!
Table of Contents (*highlights)
- 0:00-4:03 -- Intro to Tina & The Education Trap
- 4:03-12:22 -- The Purpose of School According to Tina & "Defunding" Schools *
- 12:22-21:08 -- Economic & Political Influences on Education, Inequality, & Social Mobility
- 21:08-28:13 --Knowledge, Merit, & Mobility *
- 28:13-36:33 -- Vocational vs Liberal Education & Local Control *
- 36:33-47:41 -- Tina's Ideal School
- 47:41-57:43 -- Unschooling, Project-Based Learning, & Organizing *
- 57:43-1:10:31 -- School Choice, Unions, and Improving Schools
- 1:10 :31-1:16:59 -- Final Thoughts, Book/Movie Recs, & Wrap-Up
The ClassCast Podcast streams on all major platforms, including iTunes/Apple Podcasts, Spotify, iHeartRadio, Pandora, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, Audible, Stitcher, and more. You can also find us on YouTube and at www.ClassCastPodcast.com. Be sure to like, subscribe, follow, share, and comment wherever you listen. Leave a comment below to let us know what you think of the discussion and if you have any questions!
Support the show (http://paypal.me/TibbensEST)! If every listener made a one-time donation of $2-3, the podcast would be funded for the year!