Episode 17 - Pilot Pathways: A Chick in the Cockpit
Explore the topic of pilot pathways – how people navigate the path to becoming a pilot.
Our guests are Erika Armstrong and Val Blome. We will dive into Erika’s personal journey as outlined in her memoir “A Chick in the Cockpit”, where she shares her experiences as a woman in a male-dominated industry. The book provides a behind-the-scenes look at the aviation industry, including the challenges and joys of flying, the grueling training process, and the personal sacrifices necessary to succeed. Val Blome will also share her personal journey to becoming a pilot and provide insights into the larger trends she sees people encounter on their journey to becoming a pilot.
THIS is going to be cool!
- Erika Armstrong, author of "A Chick in the Cockpit: My Life Up in the Air" shares her experiences in the cockpit, and her pursuit of a career in aviation, ultimately as a commercial pilot for a major airline.
- A good first step to get involved in a local, or online aviation community.
- You can get a job in the aviation industry as flight support to learn more about what it's like to be a pilot and make connections.
- Like any challenge, there will be hard days, but don't give up!
- Getting a pilot's license is expensive but consider it an investment. Commercial pilot salaries are relatively high.
- To save money you can take online ground school and do independent study.