Episode 18 - What is the Space Force?
Gain insight into the newest branch of the U.S. military- the Space Force.
In this episode, we explore the creation and operations of the Space Force, the newest branch of the United States military. From its roots as a small office within the Air Force to its current status as a fully-fledged branch, we delve into the challenges and successes of the Space Force as it works to defend and protect American interests in space.
Our guest, Colonel Marcus Jackson, is the Commander of Space Base Delta 2, headquartered at Buckley Space Force Base, Colorado. As commander, he leads an 857-member team providing Base Operating Support to more than 757 military, Department of Defense civilians and contractor personnel serving at 14 operating locations world-wide, executing critical United States Space Force Missile Warning and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions. In addition, SBD2 hosts 6 wings (or equivalents) and 92 tenant organizations as well as supporting over 14,000 base personnel and a 98,000-retiree population.
THIS is going to be cool!
- Established as a new branch of the United States Armed Forces: The US Space Force is a newly established branch of the US Armed Forces that was created in December 2019. It operates under the jurisdiction of the Department of the Air Force and is responsible for organizing, training, and equipping military personnel to conduct space operations.
- Focuses on space operations: The primary focus of the US Space Force is on space operations, including satellite communications, missile warning, and other activities that take place in space. The Space Force also aims to protect US space assets from potential threats, including those from other countries.
- Supports the civilian space industry: The US Space Force also supports the civilian space industry by providing satellite launch and other services. It also collaborates with other agencies such as NASA to advance space exploration and research.
- Emphasizes technology and innovation: The Space Force places a strong emphasis on technology and innovation to improve its capabilities and stay ahead of potential threats. This includes investments in areas such as artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and space-based sensors.
- Relies on partnerships and collaboration: The US Space Force works closely with other branches of the US military as well as with international partners to achieve its goals. It also collaborates with the private sector and academia to develop new technologies and capabilities.
[ChatGPT was used to generate these key takeaways]