Episode 2: Were you in a Car Accident?... Now What?
Episode #2: Were you in a Car Accident?... Now What?
For this episode of the Breaking Down The Law Podcast we're joined by Stewart J. Guss, a personal injury lawyer in Houston who specializes in car accidents resulting in injury. He's joined by Breaking Down The Law Podcast host, Ashley Rodriguez.
During today’s episode, we’ll be addressing a question we hear all too often, “What should I do after I’m involved in a car accident?” While it might seem straightforward, many drivers don’t realize they could be making mistakes immediately following a car accident that could actually hurt their case. Some examples include:
- If you’re in a minor car accident and no one is severely injured, pull over to a safe area to avoid creating a larger accident while you’re figuring out your next steps.
- Don’t argue or yell with the other party (or the Police, ever). Don’t assume or place blame. So long as there are more than a few hundred dollars of damages, call the authorities. Let the authorities do their job and keep quiet while being cordial and expressing compassion by making sure they don’t need emergency assistance.
- While you’re waiting for authorities, exchange basic pertinent information, such as proof of insurance, Driver’s License information, contact information, and so on. At this time, so long as it’s safe to do so, you can take pictures of the scene of the accident, I’d just encourage you to not film the other party, which can flare up emotions.
- Don’t assume that intersection or private CCTV footage will be made available to you, so you should document the accident in a courteous and safe manner.
- If the accident causes significant damages to your vehicle or injuries are present, you should really consider calling a personal injury lawyer before you speak with any insurance adjusters, law enforcement, and so on. Remember, insurance companies don’t want to make pay-outs and law enforcement might not have all the accurate facts at the time of their reporting. Your lawyer is your advocate and consultations for personal injury cases are almost always complimentary.
Check out the full episode for more details and many examples or you can visit Stewart Guss online at www.attorneyguss.com for more information.
Stay tuned for the next installment of the Breaking Down The Law Podcast with Stewart J Guss and Ashley Rodriguez!
Contact us! 281-783-3934 or firstname.lastname@example.org