Episode 239: Coté got up at 2am
We dream of video conferencing in Zoom, ask whatever happened to Big Data, discuss how little agile practices are followed despite their proven success, and contemplate the meaninglessness of Apple moving to ARM. Also, how to prioritize those early morning calls with Singapore.
- Is that guacamole talk Amazon approved?
- Why don’t you listen to a few episodes?
- “What generation did they have in the Black Plague?”
- I have a lot of thoughts on OmniFocus and Evernote. Note gonna talk about it.
- The Timezone Tax.
- We win video conferencing bingo!
- Video conferencing Magic Quadrant.
- Remember Blue Jeans!
- They’re gonna go to The Big Data.
- Hadoop: not as big as we once thought it would be.
- Grocery store magazine agile.
- The only thing that’s shocking, is that we’re still shocked.
- Coté got up at 2am.
- Slack and Amazon
- Amazon licenses Slack for all employees, while Slack adopts AWS video-calling tech
- Slack partners with Amazon to take on Microsoft Teams
- Who Will Acquire Zoom: Amazon, Oracle, or IBM?
- Chiming in on Slack with Sid Rao - Last Week in AWS
- This is going to get ugly, real fast.
- Google Meet Switches On Jaw-Dropping Feature To Beat Zoom & Microsoft Teams
- Cloudera to Explore Sale After Receiving Takeover Interest
- what happened with Big Data?
- State of Agile Survey:
- Coté’s choice cuts.
- Practices followed, benefits achieved.
- CI/CD still not widely practiced.
- Low TDD.
- Apple and ARM
Relevant to your interests
- VMware acquires network security firm Lastline, said to lay off 40% of staff – TechCrunch
- Red Hat CEO Paul Cormier Talks About IBM and His Vision for the Future
- Canonical pushes out MicroK8s installer for Mac and Windows, with Multipass VM tech lurking behind the scenes
- Apple releases new open source 'Password Manager Resources' project for developers - 9to5Mac
- Unity, the $6.3 billion startup that quietly powers some of the biggest video games in the world, is reportedly ramping up for an IPO as soon as this year
- Germany, France launch Gaia-X platform in bid for ‘tech sovereignty’
- States are leaning toward a push to break up Google's ad tech business
- Why boring is the way forward for businesses
- Three Reasons Why Companies Are Creating Their Own Open Source Consortium - Software Research and the Industry
- Container technologies at Coinbase
- Rackspace Technology: New Name, Continued Multi-Cloud Services, Eventual IPO?
- Amazon sues former AWS marketing VP Brian Hall after he takes Google Cloud job
- Migrate for Anthos streamlines legacy Java app modernization | Google Cloud Blog
- IBM Cloud suffers prolonged outage
- The RuboCop Name Drama Redux
- Microsoft: Rust Is the Industry’s ‘Best Chance’ at Safe Systems Programming
- 8 things that surprised me about moving from the US to the UK
- New Sims 4 patch adds ladders but also a bug where Sims pee fire
strongDM — Manage and audit remote access to infrastructure. Start your free 14-day trial today at: strongdm.com/SDT
- Kubecon + CloudNativeCon Virtual Conference on August 17th-20th
SDT news & hype
- Listen to the Shannon Williams interview from earlier this week.
- Join us in Slack.
- Send your postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you free laptop stickers!
- Follow us on Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn
- Listen to the Software Defined Interviews Podcast. Check out the back catalog.
- Brandon built the Quick Concall iPhone App and he wants you to buy it for $0.99.
- Use the code SDT to get $20 off Coté’s book, Digital WTF, so $5 total.
- Brandon: Listen to the Shannon Williams SDT interview from earlier this week.
- Matt Ray: TuringPi.com
- Coté: Marten Beck; Mindless mining in Minecraft; Solar Dial in Apple Watch.