Episode 282: The Science of Happiness with Dr. Sasha Heinz
This week Dr. Sasha Heinz is hanging out with me on the podcast. And as usual, I am super excited! I can’t help it, y’all-- I get excited when I get to talk to someone who I know in real life mostly because I CAN’T WAIT to introduce them to YOU.
Sasha is my friend, is very, very smart and talks about all of the things we love to talk about over here at the YKAL headquarters, like negative self-talk and perfectionism. She is a Developmental Psychologist and Life Coach, is an expert in Positive Psychology, lasting behavioral change, and the science of getting unstuck.
In today’s episode we talk about being deliberate with our thinking and how doing so has an effect on our emotions. We also talk about negative emotions and how we can have either gratuitous negative emotions or instructive negative emotions (and what that all means, plus what I call them instead of “negative” emotions). And we also tackle the million dollar question, “How can someone get to a place of worthiness, of feeling worthy?”
In this episode you’ll hear:
- What positive psychology means and how it got started (5:22)
- Being deliberate about your thinking so that your emotions are moving you toward the life you want to be living and who you want to be (15:03)
- Worthiness and feeling like you are not enough and some steps to help get to a place of worthiness (16:10)
- The science of happiness and how your circumstances really don't dictate your happiness (30:06)
- Social media and emotions - why we would all be much happier by deleting our social media feeds (38:40)