Episode 29: Boni & John Wagner-Stafford - How To Build Your Business While Sailing The Ocea
Gold Nuggets in this Episode:
- Boni and John now live in Mexico – sometimes on land, and sometimes on a boat. All while running a successful business.
“We do not like to stay in one place for very long.”
- “While we were driving to our corporate jobs in downtown Toronto, I did the math on how much time we were spending in the car in our commute to work. Not including sleep time (factoring only productive time), we were each spending 8 weeks a year in the car.”
- Boni and John got rid of most of their material belongings, leaving Canada with 4 suitcases, their 2 cats, and a guitar.
“As entrepreneurs we’re all familiar with the necessity of embracing risk. There are still shades of grey: every entrepreneur is not comfortable with the same degree of risk.”
- “We are material creatures. Giving up that material connection is probably what keeps most people from doing what we’ve done.”
- “Our business matches the life that we want, as opposed to the other way around.”
- “If you set your mind to doing something, you can pretty much do anything.”
- “The act of thinking about, and going through the process of writing a book, about your business, is incredibly clarifying.”
- “Embrace the creativity in all aspects of the entrepreneurial journey.”
- “Don't ever let someone tell you that you cannot do something. You’ve got a dream, you’ve got to protect it. When people cannot do something themselves, they are going to tell you that you can't do it. You want something; you go get it. Period.” – Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness
Our guests are Boni and John Wagner-Stafford, co-founders of Ingenium Books, a hybrid publishing company – an alternative to both traditional publishing and self-publishing. After downsizing their lives, and packing up all their belongings, they left Canada with 4 suitcases, their 2 cats, and a guitar. Since then, Boni and John have been running their business while also traveling and living the life they want to live.