Episode 299: How to Start Finishing with Charlie Gilkey
Charlie Gilkey is back on the YKAL podcast this week, this time to talk about productivity with a twist. So many listeners offered such great feedback when he joined me on the podcast the first time around, that I knew I had to bring him back. For those of you new to Charlie, he is the founder of Productive Flourishing and the author of the new book, Start Finishing: How to Go From Idea to Done. Charlie helps people finish the stuff that matters. I mean, come on, we all could use a little bit of that in our lives, am I right?
In this latest book, Charlie walks readers through some different perspectives around getting shit done, which we talk about in this episode. We touch on topics such as perfectionism and how it’s holding you back from reaching your goals, what to do when the naysayers or derailers don’t believe in your projects, and how to get motivated for a task you are dreading. Plus we talk understanding that you have moments of choice and how changing the way you talk to yourself (and about yourself) can change your life. This is a no-holds-barred conversation on productivity because quite honestly, it’s time to start finishing.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Why Start Finishing is different from other books on productivity (7:06)
- What to do when others don’t believe in your projects or ideas (20:00)
- How to get motivated to do the work you are dreading and what “confetti time” is (30:00)
- Fixing the load you are carrying so you can fix the overwhelm (35:04)
- Understanding you have moments of choice, changing your language and why it matters (39:00)