Episode 30: Jeff Paikin - Building Your Business One Brick at a Time
Gold Nuggets in this Episode:
- Juliet was stressed out by planning and organizing Steve’s birthday dinner. Steve doesn’t recall being stressed at all – he does, however, remember the good wine.
- “If I were to crystalize what I consider to be my most important challenge, it was the ability to do what my parents did for me – to provide that unbelievable education in a way that I never knew if things were good or bad for them.”
- “Whether it’s more profitable or not is not always the issue. Sometimes doing the right thing is how we define success.”
- “One of the keys to the success of successful businesses is you must always be evolving and innovating, and you cannot stand still if you hope to still be in business in 5, 10, or 15 years from now.”
- “You better love what you’re doing, because you’re going to be doing it for a lot more hours than the typical person who gets up, goes to work, and comes home.”
- “Living and dying by what you do at your workplace is a very fulfilling way to live your life, providing you don’t measure your success by the success of what you’re trying to do.”
- “The biggest investment you’ll ever make in your life is in the people that you surround yourself with as the business becomes something that requires others.”
- “If you have nothing you’d do differently, you haven’t tried hard enough.”
- “The best lessons you ever learn are the ones where you lose money, because you’ll never forget it.”
- “Every single one of your employees is in your marketing department, whether they know it or not. They’re all marketing your company, and they all carry your reputation with everything they do every day.”
- “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.” – Milton Berle
Our guest is Jeff Paikin, President and Co-Founder of New Horizon Development Group. Jeff has been widely recognized for his commitment to his community and his philanthropic initiatives; earning him the title of Hamilton Citizen of the Year in 2013. He has also earned several awards from the Hamilton Halton Home Builders’ Association including the National Roof Topper Award, the President’s Award of Merit, and the Paul Wright Memorial Award.