Episode 304: YKAL Coaching Sessions Priorities and Asking for Help with Corrina
This week on the podcast I have another coaching episode for you. Long-time YKAL community member and Patron, Corrina joins me. She is a working mom from Toronto who needed help with prioritizing time for her own self-care. Here is what I love about this episode, not only is Corrina a loyal listener of the show, our conversation starts out on one topic and ends up going in a different direction. If you’ve listened to some of my past coaching sessions, you’ve come to learn that’s typically how my sessions go. And I love it. 🙌🙌🙌
Our conversation went from what seemed like a “simple” struggle (and I use the word simple loosely because nothing is ever simple in self-help) and turned to having (or in this case not having) support or help around the household. We discussed partnerships, having hard conversations and how to ask for what you need from your partner, with compassion and gratitude.
The health of any relationship rests on the reciprocity of love, trust, and the work it takes to create a household. Corrina and I explore this topic together and come up with a possible solution to her current struggles. As you will hear, Corrina learns that prioritizing means reaching out for help so she can make more, “Yes” decisions for her own wellbeing.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Corrina’s struggle with prioritizing and making time for self-care (6:01)
- Working through her feeling of shame when it comes to taking care of the home (ie: home not in order or clean) (9:00)
- Realizing that you can’t do all the things, all the time without feeling resentful (9:21)
- Communicating the severity of the lack of support around the household and having hard conversations with a partner (18:37)
- Finding the line between realistic and unrealistic expectations and not trusting your own voice (22:06)
- Acknowledging and leaning into each other’s love languages (33:21)
- Telling your partner what you want and need from your relationship with compassion and gratitude (36:00)