Episode 314: Goal Setting with Keith McArthur
This week on the podcast, I am re-broadcasting my conversation with Keith McArthur because NEW YEAR NEW YOU, right? Keith is the author of the book, “Winning Resolutions: Achieve Your Biggest Goals and Wildest Dreams Once and For All.” He’s also the creator of My Instruction Manual, a website, podcast and book series providing high-quality personal development and content. I’ve been on Keith’s podcast twice and know him to be an amazing interviewer.
So, about a year ago, I released an episode called, “New Year New You” (ep 262), in which I said, loud and clear, that you do not need a morning routine or for that matter, any routine that doesn’t fit your lifestyle. But yet, I also realize that the new year can be overwhelming for many. That’s why I invited Keith to the show to talk about ways to calm the New Year overwhelm, help shift our mindset around goal setting, and share what he knows about our environment and how it can affect goal achieving. Plus, he shares what values, shame and commitment have to do with it all.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Why we put so much pressure on ourselves at the start of a new year and how shame comes into play (11:49 )
- Keith’s take on the “New Year, New You” mentality (13:27 )
- The biggest mistake people make when creating a goal or resolution. Plus, some science-based strategies for achieving your biggest, baddest goals (16:19 )
- How an accountability partner can help you with goals and the science behind finding the right accountability partner (25:03 )
- Some ways to get back on track if you lose sight or abandon a goal, hint: think ahead! (27:43 )
- Taking control of your environment and some ways to structure your environment for goal success (40:34 )
Lastly, my new creative project with Amy Smith, Not Another Self-Help Podcast drops THIS FRIDAY, January 3rd! Please go take a listen, subscribe, and tell us what you think!