Episode 316: Conversations About Shit That Matters with Unqualified People: Andrea and Kate on Anxiety and Depression
It’s been a minute since I brought you an episode of Conversations About Shit That Matters with Unqualified People. If you’ve been hanging on to the edge of your seat waiting for the next one to appear in your podcast feed, well, today is your lucky day. Conversations About Shit That Matters is back! If you are new to this series, it features candid conversations with my real-life friends about stuff that happens in everyday life. This is not an episode that offers expert advice, tools or tips. Instead, my friends (who may be experts in other fields) and I come on to talk, explore, and share about specific topics affecting our lives and the world in which we live.
This week, returning guest Kate Anthony joins me to talk about anxiety and depression. We’ve both struggled with anxiety, and Kate with depression. In this episode, we share our experiences and how we navigate these challenges in our own lives. We do also share some of the strategies we employ in our own self-care regimens. But please note, we are not licensed professionals around this topic. I really hope you enjoy this conversation!
In this episode you’ll hear:
- Our experiences with anxiety in childhood and our teen years (7:16 )
- Kate shares her experience with depression and about when her depression and anxiety began to manifest (23:00 )
- My story about how I was diagnosed with severe generalized anxiety disorder and how I felt so betrayed by my own body (25:00 )
- Anxiety and depression medication that helped us and some of the side effects we had (27:00 )
- Our self-care practices and strategies for navigating anxiety and depression (36:01 )