Episode 341: The Human Condition and Liberation with Makenna Held
This week I have an episode featuring Makenna Held. Makenna is someone who is wise beyond her years. She is a writer, educator, and serial entrepreneur. While she's most known for being ‘the woman who bought Julia Child’s house’, that is one of the least interesting things about her. Her business, personal, and leadership coaching is committed to exploring paradigms of the human condition including liberation, human potential, obliterating capitalism's hold on our souls, and the essence of suffering.
Today, Makenna and I discuss the inheritance of whiteness by white people and why it is our job, (as white people), to unpack and dismantle it. We also discuss putting the focus on the value you provide to people rather than putting the focus on the value of money, how to begin to dismantle the patriarchy, and sitting with the uncomfortable in with personal growth. This episode is a perfect reminder that it’s never too late to make a change.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- What Makenna means by “Whiteness is a sickness white people carry.” (5:00 )
- Obliterating capitalism's hold on our souls and putting the focus on the value you provide, instead. (12:30 )
- Where to start: dismantling the patriarchy or patriarchal structures. (18:03 )
- Human design and why it is so important for women to trust their intuition. (32:12 )
- How the concepts of cooking tie into personal development. (38:00 )