Episode 349: Friendships at Work with Shasta Nelson
Work is the number one place we make friendships as adults, according to Shasta Nelson. So why not focus on friendships where we are most of the time? Well, Shasta is back on the podcast this week to talk about this topic, one she is an expert in, friendships.
Her newest book is all about friendships at work. And, this is definitely an interesting time for workplace friendships, with many working from home or working in the office but with socially distant restrictions. We can all use a little help with our relationships whether they are our personal relationships or friendships at work. I am happy to share our conversation with you.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- The three things needed in a healthy relationship: consistency, vulnerability, and positivity. (5:43 )
- Why having a best friend at work improves employee experience and organizational success. (9:31 )
- How to handle the coworker friend who sucks the energy out of you and how to reduce the impact of their toxicity. (12:04 )
- #RelationshipGoals at work - do you have to be friends with everyone? (13:42 )
- Workplace boundaries and your responsibility around them. (18:17 )
- What to do or say when you are working with someone who indulges in office gossip. (21:33 )
- Leveraging your former professional friendships to help you during a job search. (27:47 )