Episode 359: Tough Conversations 101 with Alexandra Jamieson
It’s no secret that this year has been challenging and many have been put into situations where they need to have tough conversations. In fact, many problems can be solved when two people can have a thoughtful, mature, and healthy conversation. Yet, having tough conversations or simple communication was never taught to most of us in school; we don’t know how to do it. This week, Alexandra Jamieson returns to the podcast to discuss how to have game-changing conversations.
Alexandra is the co-author of Radical Alignment, a book about how to have tough conversations at work and at home. In this episode, Alex helps us learn the steps needed to show up as your best self, regardless of how the conversation turns out.
- How a communication workshop for couples inspired Alex and her husband, Bob, to write their book, Radical Alignment. (22:00 )
- How we fall into traps of bad communication. (10:00 )
- Why the common culprit in miscommunication is the missing conversation. (18:16 )
- You can create team psychological safety with equal speaking time. (25:00 )
- The 4 steps in the All-In Method, including declaring the topic of conversation. (24:27 )
- How to invite someone to an emotional or high-stakes conversation. (40:00 )