Episode 368: Discipline, Confidence, and Mental Toughness with Dre Baldwin
There are many facets of personal development that can stand to adopt a level of discipline, similar to the discipline required by professional athletes. My guest, Dre Baldwin, is a former professional basketball player who built a publishing empire and authored an impressive 27 books. He has an interesting perspective on discipline, which is the focal point of this week’s episode.
As someone who mildly recoils at the word discipline, I was fascinated and eager for my conversation with Dre. When I think about a goal I want to achieve (whether it’s personal or professional), I make a mental list of all the things I need to do in order to complete the goal. And sometimes, y’all, just the idea of the discipline needed to succeed, it’s exhausting.
Dre and I explore many areas of discipline, from how it affects success, how it helps to create confidence and builds mental toughness for everyday life.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- The four pillars of Dre’s "Work On Your Game" philosophy and how you can use it in your everyday life. (9:13 )
- Why discipline is an important aspect of success. (11:02 )
- How discipline creates confidence. (18:34 )
- Creating mental toughness for business and life. (24:46 )
- Taking personal initiative for your career and business: information is great, but you need to take initiative and do something with it. (34:05 )
- The energy you put out is the energy you get back. (37:02 )