Episode 54: Being WEIRD (with Joe Henrich)
Yoel and Mickey interview one of the most influential social scientists of our generation, Harvard University's Joe Henrich. Why are people from the West so peculiar, so different from other people the world over? What led the West to be particularly prosperous? If not intelligence, what marks humans as so special? What are the various approaches to the evolutionary study of human behaviour? Does psychology suffer from a theory crisis? Has religion been a net plus to the survival of human groups?
Bonus: Who is lazier, psychologists or economists?
Special Guest: Joe Henrich.
- The Great Courses Plus: The Great Courses Plus is a Video-On-Demand service brought to you by The Great Courses – the leading global media brand for lifelong learning and personal enrichment. With thousands of in-depth videos taught by the world’s greatest professors, you’ll always have something fascinating to learn about. Promo Code: BEERS
- Whale's Tale IPA | Cisco Brewers
- Jelly King (Mango/Passionfruit) – Bellwoods Brewery
- Perpetual IPA - Tröegs Independent Brewing
- Why Are We in the West So Weird? A Theory - The New York Times
- WEIRDest People in the World | Joe Henrich
- The weirdest people in the world?
- The cultural evolution of prosocial religions
- A problem in theory | Nature Human Behaviour
- Complex societies precede moralizing gods throughout world history | Nature
- The Secret of Our Success: How Culture Is Driving Human Evolution, Domesticating Our Species, and Making Us Smarter | Joe Henrich
- Kid Cudi - Just What I Am ft. King Chip - YouTube