Episode 6: Dr. Karen Petrie, ‘Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men’ by Caroline Criado Perez
In this podcast you will have the opportunity to learn out about the books and ideas that have inspired and influenced the many different and wonderful people that we have here on campus.
This is the University of Dundee, welcome to our book club.
In this Episode
In this episode Dr. Karen Petrie, Associate Dean for Learning & Teaching at the School of Science and Engineering, discusses some of the key ideas and themes from the book ‘Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men’ by Caroline Criado Perez.
Find Out More:
· You can find out more about Karen, including her research interests here
· Follow Karen on Twitter @
From the Episode:
· Introducing the social concept of the ‘designated driver’. See section titled ‘Should television be used to teach values?” here
· ‘Flow’ by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. Listen to Mihaly’s TEDTalk here
· ‘Thinking, Fast and Slow’ by Daniel Kahneman. Listen to his talk at Google here
The University of Dundee
· Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020 recognised us as the University of the Year for Student Experience.
· The Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings placed us 20th in the world.
· 2019 National Student Survey ranked us as 4th in the UK for overall satisfaction
· Received the Gold award in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
· The Wall Street Journal and Lonely Planet listed Dundee as one of their top ten `places to visit in 2018’, and GQ called us `Scotland’s coolest city’!
Music courtesy of Jospeh McDade
Track Title: On the Verge
Available at: https://josephmcdade.com/music
Image courtesy of Sincerely Media
Available at: https://unsplash.com/photos/nGrfKmtwv24