Episode 66 - Lockdown Leadership | Communication
Lockdown Leadership | Communication
Across this 5-part podcast series, I chat with Becky Hammond from Isogo Strong and unpack some common leadership themes that we have seen stand out during this crisis. As we've coached and worked with leaders over the past several months, themes have emerged where the best leaders are thriving and implementing changes to successfully take their team and organisation forward. These themes include Grace & Kindness, Communication, Individualization, Clarity, and Selfcare.
In this episode, we focus on COMMUNICATION. The need for effective, timely and succinct communication has been highlighted through this crisis. The words we use, what we say and how we say it, how we listen, our energy, body language, gestures, all contribute to the messages we provide people.
We delve into individualization of communication and discuss examples of what some of the best leaders are doing. We share actionable steps that leaders can take to use communication to influence the culture and impact their team positively, especially in a crisis.
Key highlights include:
· When we talk more frequently, for a shorter period of time, it builds alignment, understanding and speed of decision making. Do less, more frequently.
· If you own your own stuff, it opens up the space for others to own theirs.
· Great managers have the conversation sooner.
· Focus on the facts – “In crisis management, be quick with the facts and slow with the blame” – Leonard Saffir
Actionable steps to take from this episode:
· Individualize your communication with your team. How do they like being communicated with? Do they like recognition and praise? Start each conversation with genuine recognition for how they show up. If they need time to think about things, then give them a heads up about what the future meeting will be about. If they’re detail-oriented and need context, give them the background info the need on the topic.
· Don’t rush - allow yourself the time to have the conversation.
· Implement 'team meetings' at home with your family, especially if you are solely working from home.
· Don’t schedule your meeting for 30 or 60 minutes; try 20 minutes, or 50. Give yourself time and allow some mental space between back-to-back meetings.
· What is the best platform for the conversation you need to have? Email, phone, Zoom, text, something else?
These conversations with Becky are always valuable, she brings a wealth of knowledge and inspiration from the other side of the world. I hope you follow along with this series here on the podcast as we get into 4 more themes that have shined through the best leaders in this time of lockdown.
If you gained inspiration from this episode then you will love our program, Leaders Who Give a Damn, where we take these concepts even further.
In the next conversation of this series, we will be delving into the Individualization of Leadership.
#podcast #leadership #leaderswhogiveadamn #covid19 #business #professionaldevelopment #strengths #health #wellbeing #communication #culture #teamdevelopment #entrepreneur