Episode 75 - TyAnn Osborn | Micro-messages & being an ally
In this episode I chat with Tyann Osborn, a Gallup-certified Strengths coach and trainer, whose passion is creating positive cultures and making the complex, simple. Using Strengths-based training, she transforms workspaces and teams to be more productive, authentic and stronger relationship builders.
TyAnn inspired me to have her on the podcast again (she was on episode 24, which you can find here) after publishing an article on LinkedIn on micro-agressions. In the article, Ty vulnerably shares her experiences over the years with micro-messages and micro-agressions. The article has received plenty of positive feedback (which it should), as it has inspired others to talk about their experiences and help people understand the impact of these behaviours.
In this conversation, we certainly cover some ground, including some of TyAnn’s personal experiences and in the workplace, and how that contributes to your sense of belonging and identity. We also delve into the Black Lives Matter movement in the U.S., the realisation of privilege and what that means, along with how you can be a more impactful ally.
Key episode highlights include:
- Have you asked someone how do you feel lately? Allow individuals to tell you what they need from you.
- Your words matter, every conversation is an opportunity to influence the culture. So what words are you using?
- Reframe your language from what you HAVE to do, to what do you GET to do.
- Always be mindful of what conscious actions you can take when showing up.
- Take the time to reach out to the leaders that have inspired and supported you.
#leadership #culture #hr #business #teams #communication #2020 #covid19 #microagressions #micromessages #blm #blacklivesmatter