Episode 76: Are you telling your prospects what to do? They might not do it just to be contrary.
Today's Imperfect Marketing conversation is with Scott Murray and we had a great conversation about building relationships—not just marketing or promoting. People enjoy connection and relationships, so ask yourself this: are you telling your prospects what to do?
Scott does a lot of reading and brought quite a few resources to the discussion, so there are links below to several books that he mentioned. A lot of this research has revealed—and I think we can all agree—that none of us like to be told what to do.
That is what marketing has been all about in the past. Buy now! You NEED this! But as we move forward, it's time to focus on building connections.
Click here to access the transcript to follow along!
Here are a few of my takeaways from the conversation:
- If you are telling people what to do, they may not do it out of spite.
- Consumers are in control.
- What's important in marketing? Relationships and making sure you are adding value.
Want to connect with Scott? Check out his website here.
Links to Books and Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Marketing Rebellion by Mark Schaefer
- Belonging to the Brand by Mark Schaefer
- Conversations that Connect by Brooke Sellas
- Bonus Episode: Improve Your Visibility Without Paid Ads
- Keeping Social Media Social- 30 Days of Social Post Ideas
- Interact Quiz Software- Affiliate Referral Link
- Defining Your Target Audience
- 5 Secrets to Creating Content Ideas (this helps answer some questions!)
Want to grow your email list? I just released my 7 Steps to 1000 Subscribers Guide that will help you achieve your goals. Ready?
Get it here.