Episode 88: Living an Artful and Authentic Life - John P Weiss
“Don’t lose your authenticity. Keep honing your skills to become a better artist. Don’t just copy what someone else is doing, go beyond it. Find what really speaks to you in your soul as an artist and start doing that.”
After I started reading An Artful Life by John P Weiss, I just knew that I had to try to interview him. The stories are inspirational and have been helpful to me during this time of stress and the unknown. Our conversation was everything I hoped it would be. John's thoughtfulness and life experiences put him in a position to be able to share the kind of perspectives and wisdom that are sorely needed in the world today. Hope you enjoy the interview and be sure to check out his artwork, cartoons, book, and other writings online. All of the artists and books that are mentioned are listed at the end of the show notes along with links to John's work. Enjoy!
About text courtesty of John's website
John P. Weiss is a former police chief and editorial cartoonist who retired early to become a full-time artist and writer. John studied landscape painting extensively with American painter Scott L. Christensen.
Using a limited palette and strong abstract designs in his representational work, John captures quiet scenes of land and nature.
Wisdom from a 26-year law enforcement career and lifetime of reading informs John's poignant short stories and insightful articles. John writes about life lessons, personal growth, and the creative arts.
John's written work appears in:
The Guardian, NBC News, Becoming Minimalist, Thrive Global, Goins Writer, Elephant Journal, and more.
Read John's full biography here.
Over 38K followers enjoy John's weekly articles, which he illustrates with his whimsical, fine-lined cartoons.
Click here and subscribe to get on John's email list. You'll receive the latest creative work. No spam, always free, privacy respected.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qNJRKjlHnSA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.
Intro music generously provided by Stan Killian
- John P. Weiss Fine Art
- John P. Weiss (@johnpweiss) • Instagram
- An Artful Life: Inspirational Stories and Essays for the Artist in Everyone: Weiss, John P.: 9781546996903: Amazon.com: Books
- John P. Weiss – Medium
- Los Gatos, California - Wikipedia
- Essays | Zat Rana
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change: Covey, Stephen R.: 8601419641499: Amazon.com: Books
- (Rare & Valuable) Want success? Two things you should focus on instead of social media | The Guardian | John P Weiss
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World: Newport, Cal: 9781455586691: Amazon.com: Books
- Jeremy Mann - Red Rabbit 7
- What Discipline Really Means - Jocko Willink - YouTube
- Becoming Minimalist
- The Minimalists
- Scott L Christensen Studio
- The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles: Pressfield, Steven, Coyne, Shawn: 8601420220232: Amazon.com: Books