Episode 9: Derek Robertson and ‘What Video Games Have to Teach Us about Learning and Literacy’ by James Paul Gee
In this podcast you will have the opportunity to learn out about the books and ideas that have inspired and influenced the many different and wonderful people that we have here on campus.
This is the University of Dundee, welcome to our book club.
In this Episode
In this episode Derek Robertson, Senior Lecturer in Education within the School of Education and Social Work, offers an engaging discussion around the key ideas from James Paul Gee’s book ‘What Video Games Have to Teach Us about Learning and Literacy’.
Find out more:
· Follow Derek on Twitter @derekrobertson
· Miller, D.J., Robertson, D.P., Hudson, A. & Shimi, J. (2012) Signature pedagogy in the early years: the role of COTS game-based learning. Computers in the Schools, 29 (1-2), 227-247.
· Miller, D.J. & Robertson, D.P. (2011) Educational benefits of using games consoles in a primary classroom: a randomised controlled trial. British Journal of Educational Technology, 42 (5), 850-864.
· Miller, D.J. & Robertson, D.P. (2010). Using a games-console in the primary classroom: effects of ‘Brain Training’ programme on computation and self-esteem. British Journal of Educational Technology, 41 (2), 242-255.
· Robertson, D.P. (2009) The Games in Schools Community of Practice Report. European Schoolnet. Available here
From the Episode:
“Super Better: A revolutionary approach to getting stronger, happier, braver and more resilience” by Jane McGonigal. Find out more here
The University of Dundee
· Sunday Times Good University Guide 2020 recognised us as the University of the Year for Student Experience.
· The Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings placed us 20th in the world.
· 2019 National Student Survey ranked us as 4th in the UK for overall satisfaction
· Received the Gold award in the 2017 Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
· The Wall Street Journal and Lonely Planet listed Dundee as one of their top ten `places to visit in 2018’, and GQ called us `Scotland’s coolest city’!
Music courtesy of Jospeh McDade
Track Title: On the Verge
Available at: https://josephmcdade.com/music
Image courtesy of Sincerely Media
Available at: https://unsplash.com/photos/nGrfKmtwv24