Evan Cole Lewis, M.D. - Peeking Into the Brain: How Psychedelics Are Redefining Neurology
Dr. Evan Cole Lewis, VP of Psychedelic Neurology at Numinus, joins The Psychedelic Podcast to delve into the world of psychedelic neurology and its potential to revolutionize medicine.
Find episode links, summary, and transcript here: https://thethirdwave.co/podcast/episode-203-evan-cole-lewis-md/
Dr. Lewis & Paul F. Austin take us deeper into the underlying mechanisms of psychedelics and their impact on neurological networks. The conversation explores how psychedelics like MDMA, ketamine, psilocybin, and LSD can manipulate and reorganize those networks, leading to tailored treatment approaches for people with neurological conditions. From Dr. Lewis’s perspective, precision psychedelic medicine is poised to provide breakthrough treatments for traumatic brain injuries, concussions, functional seizures, cluster headaches, migraines, and mental illnesses.
With cautious optimism, Dr. Lewis and Paul envision a future where psychedelics offer transformative solutions for today’s most challenging conditions.
Evan Cole Lewis, M.D.:
Dr. Evan Cole Lewis is a neurologist and clinical neurophysiologist with expertise in pediatric neurology and epilepsy. He is an Assistant Professor with the Department of Pediatrics at the Hospital for Sick Children and the University of Toronto.
Dr. Lewis is the founder and medical director of the Neurology Centre of Toronto (NCT), Chief Medical Advisor for the Jamaican Medical Cannabis Corporation and VP of Psychedelic Neurology at Numinus, a Canadian company focused on research and therapeutics with psychedelic medicines.
Dr. Lewis has extensive clinical experience in the utilization of medical cannabis for the treatment of neurologic conditions in both adults and children. His practice focuses on brain network disorders, including concussion/persistent post-concussive symptoms, headache and migraine, and functional seizures.
He has a special interest in treating brain network disorders with psychedelic therapy. He has delivered many national and international educational seminars, talks, and lectures on brain network disorders, medical cannabis, psychedelic therapy, and the intersection of psychedelics and neurology.
- Why Dr. Lewis chose to work at Numinus.
- Exploring how psychedelics bridge the gap between psychiatry and neurology.
- Why psychedelics challenge neurology to adopt a complex-systems approach.
- How psychedelics counterbalance neural rigidity with harmony & flexibility.
- Psychedelics’ potential to treat traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).
- Ketamine’s role in activating & strengthening dormant neural pathways.
- How plant medicine helps people unlearn old habits & experience child-like awareness.
- The mystery of functional seizures.
- Dr. Lewis’ belief that psychedelics will enhance neuroscience & precision medicine.