Evolution of Commercial OSS
Joseph “JJ” Jacks (@asynchio, Founder/General Partner OSS Capital) talks about how Commercial OSS has evolved, coopetition with cloud providers, and what's next for Commercial OSS business models and communities.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- CloudZero - Cloud Cost Intelligence for Engineering Teams
- BMC Wants to Know if your business is on its A-Game
- BMC Autonomous Digital Enterprise
- Datadog Security Monitoring Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt.
- OSS Capital Partners and Advisors
- Commercial Open-Source Software Company Index (COSSI)
- OSS Capital to launch an ETF (with NASDAQ) of OSS Companies in Summer 2021
- Open Consensus - Data Driven Perspectives on Open Source Software
- COSS Community / Open Core Summit
- The Kubernetes State of the Community (Eps.272)
- Exploring the Business Side of Open Source Software (Eps.358)
- Server Side Public License
Topic 1 - Welcome to the show. For those that don’t already know you, tell us a little bit about your background, and some of the things you’re focused on today.
Topic 2 - You’ve been tracking the commercialization of open-source projects for quite a while now. What big trends have you seen evolve over the last two decades (from Red Hat to MongoDB)
Topic 3 - Even in the face of new OSS-centric offerings from the cloud providers, we still continue to see companies getting funded. What is the sentiment in the VC-communities about what the new competitive landscape looks like? Are there new rules in the game?
Topic 4 - We’ve recently seen MongoDB and Elastic changing their licensing model to SSPL. The stock of both companies continues to rise. Is what they are doing a short-term “fix” to a competitive threat, or a critical mistake? Does licensing need to evolve as a company matures?
Topic 5 - Are there fundamental shifts in how OSS companies are created and eventually operationalized happening now?
Topic 6 - Where do you see commercial OSS trending over the next 5 years, and what big changes need to happen to make those realities happen?
- Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet