Fei-Fei Li’s Mission to Transform Healthcare AI
After ImageNet transformed AI vision, superstar Stanford computer science professor Fei-Fei Li has turned her attention to advancing healthcare. Fei-Fei Li, co-director of Stanford’s Human-Centered AI Institute, is leading the next generation of interdisciplinary technologists.
She joins Azeem Azhar to explore her journey from pioneering AI vision to her current focus on healthcare, and to discuss the need to craft AI systems that enhance human flourishing.
They also discuss:
- How AI technologies could support the isolated and elderly during the pandemic.
- Why machine values must mirror human values, and how to embed that connection.
- What allowed Li’s — and the industry’s — early naivete to the dangers of facial recognition.
- Why Li’s health technologists must work with doctors and patients, not just medical data.
- “Fei-Fei Li’s Quest to Make AI Better for Humanity” (Wired, 2018)
- “AI Pioneer Fei-Fei Li on Building Benevolent Machines” (Wall Street Journal, 2019)
- “AI, Accountability, and Power” (Exponential View podcast with Meredith Whitaker, 2019)