Finding Attention and Inquiry through Yoga with Lara Heimann
Yoga is multifaceted, and each of us has a unique experience and perspective to share. Today, we welcome Lara Heimann, an international yoga pioneer and physical therapist focused on evolving the practice of yoga to empower movement and balance among a modern lifestyle of technology and sedentariness. She is redefining the practice of yoga through her LYT method, emphasizing smart alignment, functional movement, and spiritual wellness and, in today’s episode, you’ll hear how Lara found yoga by accident and instantly fell in love. You’ll also hear how she integrated education about the body into her yoga teaching practice, which daily habits we bring onto the mat, and why she found it so exciting to explore different methods of movement through yoga. Lara unpacks how the LYT method is the meeting place between physical therapy and yoga and hones in on perseverance and flow. You’ll also be introduced to her beliefs around teaching well and inviting people in to experience their own power, and we touch on the power of moving in a variety of different ways and the energy we leak if we don’t strengthen our cores, plus so much more. We hope you will join us!
Key Points From This Episode:
- An introduction to today’s guest, Lara Heimann.
- How Lara found yoga by accident through her involvement in fitness and movement.
- Her first experience at a free yoga class called Power Yoga and how she fell in love.
- The first yoga class she taught at a gym, which she called ‘flexible strength’.
- How she integrated education about the body into her yoga teaching practice.
- Which daily habits we bring to the mat and how we can reinforce rather than change them.
- Why she found it so exciting to explore different methods of movement through yoga.
- The escape from binary thinking that yoga classes present.
- What yoga asks instead of binary performance-related questions.
- How Lara continues to redefine her yoga practice through having an open mind.
- Her belief that yoga’s power is in the impact of attention and awareness on mind and body.
- Why you can’t expect kindness from others if you don’t embody it yourself.
- The LYT method and how it hones in on perseverance and flow as a fusion between physical therapy and yoga.
- How Lara incorporates a reset into the beginning of every class.
- What it means to broaden your perspective on being a healthy, wholesome human.
- Lara’s beliefs around teaching well and inviting people in to experience their own power.
- Why we lose an opportunity to strengthen our scapula stabilizers if we don’t get on all fours.
- How you reshape your posture when you are not moving in a variety of ways.
- The energy that you leak if you do not strengthen your core.
- Balance as a spectrum rather than a point.
- The 600 classes listed on the LYT website and the virtual studio where you can practice.
- How the ‘why’ behind yoga is a very important piece of your practice.
- How redefining yoga is about having an inquiring mind and paying attention.
- The aliveness that being in flow state can bring to your life.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:Support the show (https://paypal.me/momslowdown)