Foods And Habits To Boost Brain Health
At every meal, we make choices of what to feed our bodies—and our brains. Too much sugar and refined carbs, not enough good fats, inadequate intake of the right nutrients, and exposure to toxins can have a negative effect on our brains and even contribute to disorders ranging from brain fog to depression to Alzheimer’s. Nutrients are the fertilizer for the brain. When we get the right kinds, our brain can flourish and grow, even generating new cells in older age, long after science previously thought was possible.
In this episode of my new MasterClass series, I am interviewed by my good friend and podcast host, Dhru Purohit, about using diet and lifestyle to support brain health. We also talk about why it’s important to treat the body when it comes to treating brain issues, and I share my own experience using Functional Medicine to heal my own brain.
Dhru Purohit is a podcast host, serial entrepreneur, and investor in the health and wellness industry. His podcast, Dhru Purohit Podcast, is a top 50 global health podcast with over 30+ million unique downloads. His interviews focus on the inner workings of the brain and the body and feature the brightest minds in wellness, medicine, and mindset.
This episode is brought to you by Rupa Health and InsideTracker.
Rupa Health is a place for Functional Medicine practitioners to access more than 2,000 specialty lab tests from over 20 labs like DUTCH, Vibrant America, Genova, Great Plains, and more. Check out a free live demo with a Q&A or create an account here.
Save $200 on InsideTracker’s Ultimate Plan + Free InnerAge and enjoy 25% off as part of their Black Friday Sale here.
In this episode, we discuss (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- What to eat, and not to eat, for brain health (4:10 / 00:56 )
- How and why inflammation affects the brain (10:30 / 7:19 )
- Fixing the body to fix the brain (12:59 / 9:45 )
- The importance of exercise, sleep, and stress management (14:46 / 11:21 )
- Dr. Hyman’s personal brain health story (19:37 / 16:23 )
- The dangers of environmental toxins (26:08 / 22:32 )
- Sugar’s effect on the brain (35:58 / 32:42 )
- Case studies (39:01 / 35:48 )
- Supplements to support brain health (50:09 / 46:56 )
- Your questions on foods, energy, caffeine, and more (51:51 / 48:41 )
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.