Foraging for the Planet & the Soul - Dermot Hughes, Forage Ireland
It's time to talk foraging with Dermot Hughes! I've wanted to learn about foraging for so long and I'm delighted to have Dermot here to talk us through it. Foraging has a few various benefits which we'll go into. You can keep up to date with Dermot's adventures on his Facebook page. In the meantime, get your hat and walking stick ready, and enjoy the ride!
Don't forget to rate, review, share, and if you can, please support this podcast on Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/bookofleaves) or Buy Me a Coffee (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/BOOKOFLEAVES).
More on: http://bookofleavespodcast.com/
- [05:45 ] Dermot's journey into setting up Forage Ireland.
- [11:40 ] The best place to start.
- [12:50 ] Sloe berries.
- [15:30 ] Wild garlic.
- [16:25 ] Edible flowers & garden plants.
- [17:35 ] Poisonous flower to avoid.
- [18:10 ] What's the point in faoraging when there isn't enough to feed everyone & we can get our food in supermarkets?
- [23:15 ] Cow Parsley.
- [26:15 ] How to keep an eye out for pollutants in forage areas.
- [29:15 ] The 3 types of foragers.
- [30:55 ] The guidelines (and code!) around how much you forage.
- [35:00 ] Foraging tools & books.]
- [45:10 ] Ways to store surplus food & prevent waste.
- [47:15 ] Closing thoughts.
- [50:00 ] A few Irish foragers!
Other Irish Foragers:
- Wicklow Wild Foods.
- Blackstairs Eco Trails.
- Hips and Haws Wildcrafts.
- Howth Foraging.
- Wild Food Mary.
- Clare McQuillan.
Get bonus content on Patreon
Support this show http://supporter.acast.com/bookofleaves.
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.