Getting Help with Aging Parents
Today's guest brings a mindful approach to coaching adult children of aging parents. For years, Maggie Miller was an Executive Coach and has seen the kinds of things that you might be dealing with. She can help you take your jumbled ideas and make them actionable, stand beside you and support you and share resources and ideas - and how you can put them to work to help you help those you love.
When you begin caring ABOUT an aging parent, and not necessarily FOR them (listen to Maggie describe the difference) you step into a job you didn't apply for! That's where having a Coach can be a life saver, for all involved. I called Maggie when I needed help. She shared resources and support that enabled me to step out of fear and into understanding.
3 Takeaways from our conversation:
1. Fear of the unknown can be alleviated by knowing what resources are available.
2. Always a have a few Starbucks gift cards on hand to give to folks you meet along the way who are helpful - a small thank you! (I keep a few in my wallet)
3. A list of questions you brainstorm ahead of time to ask helpers or navigate with parents, can smooth out a challenging conversation.
Books Maggie recommends (please copy and paste book titles in and use my new support small book sellers link to buy and let me know if it works! I'll try and make it easier as I figure it out, too) https://bookshop.org/shop/mindfullconversations
1. The Mature Mind and The Power of the Aging Brain by Dr. Gene Cohen
2. The Song of Our Scars by Haider Warraich
You can find Maggie at https://www.maggiemiller.org/coach-adultchildren-agingparents
Please follow my blog, The MindFULL Creative. It's the inspiration for this podcast and has tons of ideas and links to fill your mind with fresh perspectives! https://themindfullcreative.com
Be in touch with me! You can DM me on Instagram and let me know what you think, what you like and if you'd like to be a guest and fill our minds! https://www.instagram.com/mindfullconversations/
And, if I have mentioned a book above, I might have moved the link up there - in case you need it again, click below to easily support local bookstores, shop my page and fill your mind. https://bookshop.org/shop/mindfullconversations