Git with your friends
This week we invited our friend Mat Ryer to join us for some good conversation about some Git tooling that’s been on our radar. You may know Mat from Go Time and also Grafana’s Big Tent, which we help to produce. We speculate, we discuss, we laugh, and Mat even breaks into song a few times. It’s good fun.
Changelog++ members save 4 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Fly.io – The home of Changelog.com — Deploy your apps and databases close to your users. In minutes you can run your Ruby, Go, Node, Deno, Python, or Elixir app (and databases!) all over the world. No ops required. Learn more at fly.io/changelog and check out the speedrun in their docs.
- Postman – Build APIs together — More than 20 million developers use Postman for building and using APIs. Postman simplifies each step of the API lifecycle and streamlines collaboration so you can create better APIs—faster.
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Mat Ryer – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- Git Heat Map
- Git Sim
- Git Branchless
- Jerod’s pick - GitX
- Mat’s pick - ReviewPad
- How did Git get its name?
- Beyond Code Season 1: Keep Ruby Weird 2014
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00 ) - This week on The Changelog
(00:50 ) - Sponsor: Fly.io
(02:54 ) - Start the show!
(07:20 ) - Git-Heat-Map
(20:07 ) - Git-Sim
(25:42 ) - git-bug
(36:40 ) - GitUI
(40:55 ) - Sponsor: Postman
(42:10 ) - Does the language tools are written in matter?
(49:27 ) - Is Rust encroaching on Go?
(50:47 ) - "Rust Away" by Mat Ryer
(54:10 ) - git-branchless
(59:36 ) - How do you Git?
(1:06:48 ) - "Keyboard Wizards" by Mat Ryer
(1:09:12 ) - As a VS Code user...
(1:14:53 ) - Mat has a "pick" to share
(1:21:53 ) - Unpopular opinions!
(1:24:01 ) - Adam's unpop
(1:28:26 ) - Mat's unpop
(1:31:02 ) - Jerod's unpop
(1:36:41 ) - It's closing time
(1:38:32 ) - Outro