Go for beginners ♻️
How do beginners learn Go? This episode is meant to engage both non-Go users that listen to sister podcasts here on Changelog, or any Go-curious programmers out there, as well as encourage those that have started to learn Go and want to level up beyond the basics. On this episode we’re aiming to answer questions about how to learn Go, identify resources that are available, and where you can go to continue your learning journey.
Changelog++ members save 8 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
Sourcegraph – Transform your code into a queryable database to create customizable visual dashboards in seconds. Sourcegraph recently launched Code Insights — now you can track what really matters to you and your team in your codebase. See how other teams are using this awesome feature at about.sourcegraph.com/code-insights
FireHydrant – The reliability platform for every developer. Incidents impact everyone, not just SREs. FireHydrant gives teams the tools to maintain service catalogs, respond to incidents, communicate through status pages, and learn with retrospectives. Small teams up to 10 people can get started for free with all FireHydrant features included. No credit card required to sign up. Learn more at firehydrant.io
Akuity – Akuity is a new platform (founded by Argo co-creators) that brings fully-managed Argo CD and enterprise services to the cloud or on premise. They’re inviting our listeners to join the closed beta at akuity.io/changelog. The platform is a versatile Kubernetes operator for handling cluster deployments the GitOps way. Deploy your apps instantly and monitor their state — get minimum overhead, maximum impact, and enterprise readiness from day one.
Honeycomb – Guess less, know more. When production is running slow, it’s hard to know where problems originate: is it your application code, users, or the underlying systems? With Honeycomb you get a fast, unified, and clear understanding of the one thing driving your business: production. Join the swarm and try Honeycomb free today at honeycomb.io/changelog
- David Valentine – Website
- Carmen Andoh – Twitter, GitHub
- Ashley Willis – Twitter, GitHub
- Jon Calhoun – Twitter, GitHub, Website
Notes and Links
- A gentle Introduction to Golang for Beginners
- CLI for Beginners
- Lambda School was mentioned + Austen Allred (CEO & co-founder of Lambda School) was on Founders Talk recently
- Turing — a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that operates almost entirely on student tuition
- “programming today is more about knowing of libraries (pkgs) and gluing them together”
- Richard Feynman on Wikipedia
- Julia Evans’ zines
- JS Party #60: You might want to read up on PAW Patrol
- First timers only
- Your first PR
- #golang-newbies on Gopher Slack
- On-the-Job Programming Language Learning Survey for Developers
- Learn Go with Tests
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!