64. Going Out For Tacos In Germany
- John of the Maryland Johns
- Jay of Hypnospace
- When you're more interested in following news about things than the things themselves: When will the rumored The Cure albums come out? No Man's Sky updates. What is Josh Sawyer working on?
- Realizing that your funny friend as a child was just repeating lines from HBO comedy specials that you weren't allowed to watch.
- The Terminator 2 soundtrack and the Fairlight CMI 3
- I couldn't find a source for the analog modeling synth running on a 60s mainframe, but I did find this example of early digital synthesis from 1961: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41U78QP8nBk
- Fairlight is the name of a village in East Sussex, England. I could've sworn it was one of Santa's reindeer or something like that.
- Kevin asks "The diminishing returns technologically with each passing console generation. For instance, NES to SNES was a massive leap, whereas you can barely distinguish ps4 games from ps5 games."
- Adventures in cooking: share tales of delicious things you have made recently
- A game about the old internet.
- Figuring out who DMed John.
- Doing better at a game than all the people who don't know that the game exists.
- Searching things a lot when you're on the toilet.
- Being more interested in news about the cure for COVID than about the cure itself.
- The three rumored The Cure albums that have been teased for the past four years.
- Identifying as someone who cares about video games long after you no longer have time to play video games.
- The cultural event of Blaseball.
- Whether you are less interested in things as you get older or if you just have less time.
- Not buying a Raspberry Pi because you definitely don't have time to play with it.
- Sitting two feet away from a 50 inch television and trying to get RetroArch working.
- Buying a NES and SNES Classic but never actually playing the games.
- Whether Bonk's Adventure is good in 2020.
- Kanye West naming an album Turbo Grafx 16.
- Naming your The Beatles tribute band The Beatles.
- Being exposed to Monty Python primarily by your friends who constantly quote lines out of context.
- Finally watching Monty Python and realizing your funny friend has never made an original joke in his life.
- Friends who communicate solely in movie one liners.
- Making friends with a kid who always says lines from Duke Nukem 3D and learning to say them yourself even though you've never heard of Duke Nukem.
- Whether anyone actually knew what Cornholio actually was.
- The abject cultural domination of Beavis and Butthead.
- Whether or not the listeners will want to know what a ROMpler is.
- A $60,000 industrial-strength sampler/synthesizer in your garage.
- Playing naturalistic orchestral samples at unnaturally low playback speeds.
- A terrifying grindy klaxon sound.
- An unstoppable liquid metal monster with a jaunty soundtrack.
- Supercomputers producing digital audio in not real time.
- The Mellotron.
- The brass hit sample used in Owner of a Lonely Heart.
- Whether Fairlight the warez group has any relation to Fairlight the synthesizer company.
- Emulating the crustiness of the Fairlight CMI.
- Where to find all the samples that came built-in to the Fairlight CMI.
- Audible frowns.
- Just throwing polygons at the rasterizer.
- Being clever and squeezing every last drop of performance out of the new consoles and it still doesn't look that much better.
- The visual quality of a console you grew up playing being acceptable forever.
- Noticing the hottest new game graphics for fifteen minutes and after that you're just playing a video game again.
- How we could be up to the NES 6 or the Wii U by now.
- Playing Wii Sports and not noticing or caring that the Wii can play other games.
- Completely ignoring F2P games until one of your relatives turns out to be susceptible to gambling addiction.
- How Nintendo spent the Breath of the Wild budget.
- Shielding your eyes when you see a map because you don't want to know too much about the world.
- Which Breath of the Wild HUD modes include a compass.
- Stuffed mushrooms.
- The only recipe that your family makes literally every Thanksgiving.
- Making a tray of stuffed mushrooms where the seasoning is different on every mushroom.
- A Delicious Chore.
- Eggs on toast with remoulade.
- The default thing you put on a sandwich.
- Espresso machine eggs.
- The hypothetical standalone steamer arm.
- Promising to not promote anyone's Kickstarter.
- What Jim will do with a sharp knife if he gets one for Christmas.
- Putting a salmon in the fridge until it desiccates.
- Whether scales are a kind of skin.
- Knowing you really ought to eat fish.
- Putting cabbage in the oven until it's melted cabbage.
- Two people who are the same height but one looks taller because their legs are longer.
- Dog content on this podcast.
- Allowing both pronunciations of Jay's name.
- Katie content on this podcast.
- A baby becoming a person after basically being a potato for a while.
- John's one (1) tweet.
Download from Google Play
Download from App Store