Guest: Ali HASNAIN
Introduction to "Guest: Ali Hasnain"
In this episode of the Lifestyle, Travel & Technology podcast, the hosts Alex and Nikki invited their good friend and fellow third culture kid, Ali Hasnain to the show to talk about racism, comedy and his podcast "Kimchi Curry".
(Links to his IG profile and YouTube Channel can be found below)
The episode dives into the #BlackLivesMatter movement, which is an international human rights movement, originating from within the African-American community, which campaigns against violence and systemic racism towards black people, highlighting the most recent incident of police brutality - the death of George Floyd. This lead to the ignition of global protests and people are demanding change.
After backing off of racism, the episode showcases the comedy career of Ali and the comedy scene in Vienna. Despite living in a German speaking country and Ali's skits being mostly in English, there is a big demand for English speaking comedians in Vienna and Ali asks everyone to just sign up for an open mic night and try it out!
Podcast Episode Summary
- Protests in Vienna for the death of George Floyd
- Death of George Floyd because of police officer Derek Chauvin
- #BLM, Black Lives Matter Movement
- Derek Chauvin, reckless history and disciplinary actions
- Agent Provocateur
- Strange piles of bricks showing up all over city's
- Hasan Minhaj on how Asian/American and Arab/Americans react to violence against Afro/Americans
- Ali's racist encounters and experience being half Pakistani and half Indian
- Alex's experience with racism in Austria
- White privilege and how some white people don't believe in white privilege
- Ali's resentment towards India for being part Pakistani
- Does Alex also have this kind of resenment?
- Racial abuse in schools by teachers
- Eventually everyone will be brown
- Racist situation during a comedy show
- Ali's comedic career in Austria, Vienna
- Open mic comedy
- Ali's comedy FB page
- Kimchi Curry
- Ali's closing message
- Ali plugging his stuff
Alexander - "...im half asian half european, I am half brown, half white. I feel brown here in Austria, I feel white in Asia..."
Nikki - "...how perverse and how paradox is it that the Americans who helped to beat fascism in Europe throughout one of the greatest sacrifices of human life in history..."
Ali - "...I've been stopped by the police once, and i always thought to myself, I always wondered to myself was it racist or was it because my hair was really long?..."