Hard drive reliability at scale
This week Adam talks with Andy Klein from Backblaze about hard drive reliability at scale.
Changelog++ members get a bonus 15 minutes at the end of this episode and zero ads. Join today!
- DevCycle – Build better software with DevCycle. Feature flags, without the tech debt. DevCycle is a Feature Flag Management platform designed to help you build maintainable code at scale.
- Sentry – See the untested code causing errors - or whether it’s partially or fully covered - directly in your stack trace, so you can avoid similar errors from happening in the future. Use the code
CHANGELOGand get the team plan free for three months.
- Postman – Build APIs together — More than 20 million developers use Postman for building and using APIs. Postman simplifies each step of the API lifecycle and streamlines collaboration so you can create better APIs—faster.
- Typesense – Lightning fast, globally distributed Search-as-a-Service that runs in memory. You iterlly can’t get any faster!
- Andy Klein – Twitter, LinkedIn, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Backblaze Drive Stats for 2022
- 10 Stories From 10 Years of Drive Stats Data
- Hard Drive Life Expectancy
- The SSD Edition: 2022 Drive Stats Review
- SSD 101: How Reliable are SSDs?
- Hard Drive Cost Per Gigabyte
- A Behind the Scenes Look at Our US East Data Center
- Sean Has a New Friend. His Name Is Guido.
- The Storage Pod Story: Innovation to Commodity
We love 45Drives. If you need an intro to them, let us know.
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00 ) - This week on The Changelog
(01:45 ) - Sponsor: DevCycle
(04:32 ) - Start the show!
(07:01 ) - 10 stories from 10 years
(14:39 ) - Software at the storage layer
(17:18 ) - S.M.A.R.T. predictive analysis
(20:49 ) - Digging into S.M.A.R.T. stats
(24:08 ) - Causes of High Fly Writes
(25:00 ) - Collecting and storing S.M.A.R.T. data
(29:10 ) - Sponsor: Sentry
(33:19 ) - Many DCs around the world
(37:24 ) - Burn-in testing
(40:45 ) - Dollars per failure and leveraged buying
(43:35 ) - The Backblaze Storage Pod
(51:13 ) - Storage servers are HEAVY!
(57:11 ) - 52Us, 12 high @ 150lbs each
(59:34 ) - Sponsor: Postman
(1:03:12 ) - How does backblaze buy drives?
(1:09:12 ) - Determining the size of the drive
(1:12:08 ) - What is your capacity/usage limit?
(1:14:39 ) - How should homelabers buy drives?
(1:25:43 ) - SSDs as boot drives
(1:30:41 ) - HDD vs SSD cost
(1:33:26 ) - How Adam buys drives
(1:36:20 ) - Closing out the show
(1:38:26 ) - Outro