Healthy Grains, Wealthy Gains with Tamara Ketchian
Tamara Ketchian lives in Orange, CT and sells gluten-free vegan granola with her cottage food business, Wildwood Granola.
Tamara started her granola business in 2021 after years of making healthier granola for her family. After being a long-time stay-at-home mom, she was finally ready to do something for herself.
In the past two and a half years, her business has grown substantially and she recently won a pitch competition where she received a $10k business grant to help grow her business!
She has now expanded into a commercial kitchen so that she can sell in stores, ship nationwide, and keep pursuing her long-time dream of building a successful food business.
What You’ll Learn
- How Tamara went from a stay-at-home mom to successful entrepreneur
- Why most granola is actually unhealthy for you
- How to get a cottage food license in Connecticut
- The mindset you need to have as an entrepreneur
- The challenge with finding work-life balance as an entrepreneur
- Why you shouldn’t try to cater your products to everyone
- An alternate strategy to raising prices
- Why recurring customers are the lifeblood of a business
- How to streamline the packaging process
- Where to get ingredients and packaging for granola
- What you need to consider when labeling products
- Why a commercial kitchen can be “life changing”
- How to adapt recipes to a commercial kitchen
- What you need to consider when finding a commercial kitchen
- Resources for learning how to expand into wholesale
- How to win a pitch competition
- Aurora (nuts and seeds)
- Nuts (dried fruit)
- WebstaurantStore (coconut oil & Bob’s Red Mill)
- Amazon (craft paper bags)
A lot of entrepreneurs still think they need to spend money to get a good website, and that is simply not true anymore.
Get full show notes and transcript here: https://forrager.com/podcast/97