Heritage Drinks of Myanmar, with brewer & author Luke Corbin
A podcast for lovers of wine, beer, liquor (incl. whisky, whiskey, bourbon, vodka tequila etc) and cocktails, Drinks Adventures hosts wine makers, brewing and distilling experts, sommeliers, bartenders & more.
Heritage Drinks of Myanmar is a beautiful new coffee table book by Australian brewer, academic and writer Luke Corbin, who lived in Myanmar from 2016 to 2021.
It takes the reader on an anthropological journey showcasing 14 different alcoholic drinks unique to Myanmar, comprising beers, wines and spirits that are integral parts of village economies.
You may also like:
- The NBA’s wine obsession, with Baxter Holmes of ESPN: S10E1
- UK wine writer Matthew Jukes on non-alc wine & more: S12E1
- Brewing legend Chuck Hahn's 50-year global brewing odyssey: S11E2
- Iconic cocktails: Julio Bermejo, creator Tommy’s Margarita cocktail: S4E8
While working on this book, Luke was employed as a brewer at Burbrit Brewery in the capital, Yangon.
Luke talked extensively about that experience on the Radio Brews News podcast in 2019, which you can listen to here.
Drinks Adventures picks up the story in 2020, as Luke shares some of the setbacks he faced while trying to complete his book, as Myanmar grappled with COVID-19 and then in February 2021, a military coup.
He joins us from Chang Mai in Thailand, where he’s now based.
More must-listen episodes:
- Two Paddocks wine with Sam Neill, pinot noir obsessive: S6E6
- Wine critic Jancis Robinson on the changing world of wine: S4E4
- Brewing historian Tara Nurin, and beer sensory expert Briony Liebich: S11E6
- Cocktails meet coffee with Mr Black Spirits: S8E5
Tags: gin, distilling, distillery, distiller, liquor, craft spirits, cocktail, cocktails, drink, drinks, wine, winemaking, winemaker, viticulture, beer, craft beer, brewing, agave, tequila, mezcal, bartender, bartenders, sommelier, sommeliers, cicerone, whisky, whiskey, cognac, bourbon, vodka, vineyard, mixology
Download from Google Play
Download from App Store