How A Pilgrimage Can Transform Your Life w/ Paul Barach
Do you have the urge to start changing the path that you are currently on? Can you find purpose while on a pilgrimage, even if religion doesn't play a role in your everyday life?
The definition of a pilgrimage is a journey, especially a long one, made to some sacred place as an act of religious devotion but do you really have to be religious in the traditional sense to take on and gain from a pilgrimage.
I am talking to my buddy, Paul Barach, about the journey he took on Japan's Shikoku pilgrimage, the power of movement, the importance of having a purpose, and why setting goals is not just an arbitrary exercise but can actually get you to those places you want to go in the world. Plus, we get deep into why society may be built to make us miserable and what you can do about it. This and so much more is going down on today's episode thank you for joining us and I hope you not only enjoy but get something meaningful out of this episode.
Which pilgrimage has been on your bucket list and why? If you have ever been on a pilgrimage, which one and how much did religion play a part in your journey? Let me know by sending me an audio message (please) or shoot me an email over at Jason@ZeroToTravel.com.
Today's episode is being sponsored by the amazing folks over at Tortuga Backpacks which, you know, are my favorite backpacks in the world.
Tune In To Learn:
- 08:55 Movement Plays A Big Role In Your Life & Travels
- 15:30 Do You Know What Is Driving You Forward?
- 16:30 Choose What You Want To Become & The 7 Goals
- 22:00 The Shikoku Pilgrimage & Its History
- 27:05 Travels Prior To The Pilgrimage & The Last Hurrah
- 29:40 The Travel Mind Can Begin In College Classes
- 30:40 What Was The Draw To Shikoku vs Other Pilgrimages?
- 32:30 The Expectations Of A Pilgrimage
- 43:00 Learning To Let Go & Accepting The Experience Wholly
- 47:50 The Length Of The Shikoku Trail & The Logistics
- 50:30 What Did The Last Day Feel Like?
- 54:20 Returning Back To Life & Work
- 55:35 Goals vs Just Being
- 59:20 Being Present In The Struggle Is To Be On Your Journey
- 01:02:40 Gratitude In The Storm & The Small Celebrations
- 01:06:35 Fighting Monks & Burning Mountains: Misadventures On A Buddhist Pilgrimage
- And so much more
- Check out Paul's book "Fighting Monks & Burning Mountains"
- Follow Paul on Instagram
- Tortuga Backpacks
- Location Indie
- The Ultimate Guide To Budget Travel In Japan: Destination Discovery Series
- A Journey To The Wild Ends Of The Earth w/ Dan Richards
- Hiking Spain, Pack Hacks, & How To Meet Other Travelers
Please head over to the archives for more Zero To Travel podcasts!