How To Unlock Grit in an Unpredictable World (with Angela Duckworth)
If you’ve ever sat through professional development as an educator, you’ve heard of Angela Duckworth. Both her research and personal experience in the classroom suggests that IQ isn’t always helpful in determining successful outcomes for students. Rather, a more important predictor of success is “grit,” a growth mindset, and feeling like you have a purpose that’s bigger than yourself. So how do we unlock grit and resilience in our kids, especially when the world is so uncertain and unpredictable? And what kind of impact will this period in our history have on our kids in the longterm? “Both the very recent events of the last few weeks and the still recent events of the last few months in the pandemic are all exactly what I study...this is historic.”
Want to hear more from Angela Duckworth?
- You can follow her on Twitter at @angeladuckw and @TheCharacterLab
- Read Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance to learn why some people succeed and others fail. Sharing new insights from her landmark research, Angela explains why talent is hardly a guarantor of success. Visit angeladuckworth.com/grit-book to learn more.
- Check out Angela Duckworth’s podcast No Stupid Questions at freakonomics.com/nsq
Thanks for listening to Season 1 of Good Kids! Here are some things to do while you wait for Season 2:
- Visit lemonadamedia.com/memberships for bonus episodes of Good Kids, fun gifts, and more!
- If you like the show, please rate and review us on Apple, Stitcher or wherever you get your podcasts. And please share with others who would also like to have a world full of good humans.
- Listen to Lemonada’s new show Tell Me What To Do with Jaime Primak Sullivan. You have questions? Well, Jaime has the answers! Hilarious, heartfelt, and always entertaining, visit lemonadamedia.com/show/tmwtd or subscribe wherever you get your podcasts.
To follow along with a transcript and/or take notes for friends and family, go to https://www.lemonadamedia.com/show/good-kids/ shortly after the air date.
Stay up to date with Good Kids and everything Lemonada and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at @LemonadaMedia.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices