How to Crave Healthy Foods & Stop Dieting - Melanie Jatsek
In Podcast # 27, Jill McCauslin and Chris Brown interview Melanie Jatsek, a registered dietitian nutritionist who broke free from the dieting trap.
Melanie holds a Bachelor’s of Science in Dietetics from the University of Akron and is the author of three books, including Missing Peace - Eleven Secrets to Restore Inner Harmony with Your Food, Body, and Health. She also created the Healthy YOU program. Melanie is passionate about helping people transform their relationship with food.
During this podcast we discuss:
- How she was able to break free from dieting after years to stop struggling with food.
- Why many women struggle with diets and their relationship to food
- Dealing with emotional eating and how she overcame three years of struggling with a binge eating disorder
- How the food pyramid guidelines (with grains on the bottom and fat on the top) did a disservice to women over 50 with misinformation. "We know better now.”
- Why counting calories is not the way to go
- Why she switched from her 20 year vegetarian-based diet to more of a Mediterranean-based diet
Melanie reveals some secrets for helping your body to crave healthy foods like:
• “Your body gets full off of nutrients, not calories.”
• “The body craves what you’re feeding it the most.”
• “The bacteria in your gut is what is craving food.” Bad bacteria crave sweets and highly processed foods. Good bacteria crave whole foods.
• “Low Fat and Fat Free – when we restrict fat we are always hungry, but we know better now.”
• “Good dietary fat actually helps you to burn fat.”
During this podcast you will learn why she roasts her veggies with avocado oil instead of olive oil, how she trained her body to crave raw vegetables, and how she avoids hidden sugars in food like peanut butter and chocolate.
She helps people develop a healthy relationship with food and talks about:
• The balance of good-for-you foods with a sprinkle of fun foods (ie chocolate.)
• The outdated guidelines of 12 servings of grains and pasta a day.
• The effect of heavy servings of carbohydrates makes on your body (easier to produce insulin, gain weight and store fat.)
Melanie feels that no food is forbidden and believes that you will crave what you feed your body.
To connect with Melanie, visit her website: www.melaniejatsek.com or her Facebook Page: Healthy You.