How to Design with Sensitivity in Mind - with HOK's Kay Sargent and Mary Kate Cassidy
Have you ever noticed the most amazing things happen when one is posed with a simple innocent question? That is how it started for Kay Sargent, a recognized expert on workplace design and strategy issues. She is an award-winning designer who has worked with several Fortune 500 companies to optimize their global real estate portfolios and create innovative work environments. Kay is currently a director of HOK’s Work Place team
Mary Kate Cassidy's career focus was to either become an architect interior designer or a special ed teacher. She chose the former and is now a senior designer at HOK focusing on corporate workplace design. In her graduate studies, she researched neurodiversity and its relationship to workplace design.
I invite you to listen and learn as we speak about:
- 00:04:46 - How Mary Kate and Kay got into neurodivergent design
- 00:05:47 - Designing for Adults on Autistic Spectrum
- 00:07:07 - What is neurodivergent
- 00:09:23 - Value in belonging
- 00:09:53 - Legally designing for inclusivity
- 00:12:28 - Spectrum of Sensitivity
- 00:13:00 - The differences between noise and sound
- 00:14:30 - Sensory Intelligence
- 00:17:32 - Six modalities of work types
- 00:19:32 - Rest at the workplace
- 00:21:05 - Human Sustainability and well-being
- 00:22:45 - Work like athletes
- 00:25:00 - Onboarding process
- 00:28:45 - Being in touch with their needs
- 00:30:07 - Breaking up tasks during the day
- 00:33:25 - Principles and Elements of Design
The Design of Everyday Things by Don Norman
"Diversity is being invited to the party; inclusion is being asked to dance," Verna Myers
Learn more about and follow HOK:
This podcast is hosted by Clare Kumar. As a productivity catalyst, highly sensitive executive coach, and speaker, Clare cultivates sustainable performance in busy professionals so they can keep making rich contributions in all areas of life and achieve greater fulfillment. She inspires leaders, professionals, employees, and entrepreneurs to respect humanity and boost performance through marrying productivity and pleasure. After all, why shouldn’t you have fun while getting things done? If you're a visual learner, please watch this episode on YouTube.
Ready to learn more? Contact Clare here!
Clare invites you to leave a review and a five-star rating wherever you listen to this podcast! Don't forget to tell your friends to listen as well!
Want to learn more about Clare and/or her guests? Follow her on Instagram and Twitter. And don't forget, everyone (including YOU) deserves a happy space. 😊
Song Credit: Cali by Wataboi from Pixabay