How to Know the Difference Between a Rough Patch & Straight-Up Abuse
How many times have you heard someone--maybe on TV--say, "Oh, we're just going through a rough patch."
Really? Is it? Or, is it abuse? It's SO important to know the difference, and that's what today's episode sets out to make very clear: the difference.
Here's how Dictionary.com defines abuse:
- to use wrongly or improperly
- abuse one's authority
- treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way
- to speak insultingly, harshly, and unjustly to or about
- to commit sexual assault upon
- harshly or coarsely insulting language
- bad or improper treatment
OK...big difference from a supposed "rough patch," right?
There's no getting away from it. When someone treats you in a degrading, mean, discounting, or dismissive way, it's abuse!
If you don't have strong boundaries that you express and maintain, you'll turn yourself into a pretzel, and end up being a doormat. You don't want that for a moment longer, right? That's why you need to see this clearly right now, whether it is happening to you or to someone you care about.
HIGHLIGHTS OF TODAY'S EPISODE:
- Why you mustn't dismiss "bad behavior"
- Clear outlines of what emotional abuse and verbal abuse are
- Why it is essential to express and maintain boundaries in outing abuse
- Why you must never allow someone to diminish your sense of identity, dignity, or self-worth
- Examples of what #Hijackal abusers do that you need to recognize for what it is.
- #Hijackals, finances, and financial abuse
I hope this help you see that more clearly. If you need help with this, I'm here for you.
Let's talk soon. I can help. Schedule an initial hour consultation HERE for only $97.
I hope this empowers you to make positive changes NOW.
Rhoberta Shaler, PhD,
The Relationship Help Doctor
P.S. Subscribe to my newsletter, Tips for Relationships, HERE.
WANT THE PRIVACY AND SAFETY OF MY SUPPORT & GROWTH GROUPS AWAY FROM FACEBOOK?
You can have that, and:
- access to my Optimize Circles
- my 21 Steps to Empowered Emotional Savvy program
- monthly "Ask Me Anything" calls
- at least monthly insightful webinar
You can get most of this right now for the price of one latte a month!
CONNECT WITH DR. RHOBERTA SHALER:
Weekly livestream show, Help for Toxic Relationships, on Mondays at 6 PM Pacific Time.
Subscribe now to get a reminder. Ask your questions in the chat each week!
You can also listen to the last 32 episodes of Save Your Sanity on Mental Health News Radio Network. That's a great place to get in-depth insights for shoring up mental and emotional health of all kinds.
#Hijackals #toxicpeople #verbalabuse #emotionalabuse #RhobertaShaler #narcissists #borderlines #antisocial #difficultpeople #toxicrelationships #manipulativepeople #walkingoneggshells #mentalhealth #emotionalhealth #abuse #narcissisticabuse #boundaries #personalitydisorders #MHNRNetwork #identifyingabuse #callitabuse