How to Lose Friends and Demoralize People: The Science (sic!) of Near-Term Extinction
Meet Guy McPherson, the extinction enthusiast who undermines legitimate climate concerns by predicting we’re all going to die yesterday. Please share this episode with your friends and start a conversation.
Warning: This podcast occasionally uses spicy language.
For an entertaining deep dive into the theme of season five (Phalse Prophets), read the definitive peer-reviewed taxonomic analysis from our very own Jason Bradford, PhD.
- Guy McPherson, "Near-Term Extinction blog post," Nature Bats Last (last updated 2016).
- Scott Johnson, "How Guy McPherson gets it wrong," Fractal Planet, 2014.
- Michael Tobis, "McPherson’s Evidence That Doom Doom Doom," Planet 3.0, 2014.
- Nathan Curry, "Humanity Is Getting Verrrrrrry Close to Extinction," Vice, 2013.
- BizNewsTV, "'Humans will be extinct by 2026' - 'doom and gloom prophet' Prof McPherson on abrupt climate change," January 19, 2023.
- Shannon Osaka, "Why climate 'doomers' are replacing climate 'deniers',” Washington Post, March 24, 2023.
- Jerome Roos, "We Don’t Know What Will Happen Next," New York Times, April 18, 2023.
- List of McPherson predictions