Improving Balance and Mobility with Jill Rango
Jill and Chris talk with Jill Rango, a balance and mobility expert, on Episode 12 of the Becoming Elli Podcast.
She is "Fall Proof" certified instructor from the Center for Successful Aging developed by Dr. Debra Rose, who was recognized by the National Council on Aging as one of seven programs nationwide that promotes a healthy, active lifestyle.
"It is never to late to improve your balance... and it's never to early to work on improving your balance."
Jill Rango gives us tips to improve our balance, flexibility and mobility that can make such a big difference in helping us to keep from falling.
- Lighting and Vision
- Difference in surfaces
- Mobility - walking is controlled falling
- Balance and strengthening on both left or right legs
- Fear of falling during the last third of life
- Situations with medications, vision, the home and exercise
- Resistant equipment for balance- bands, free weights, tubes, water
- Flexibility training for ankles, hips and spine
- The one common activity that is great for heart, lungs, frame of mind, but does NOT improve strength and balance
- Common posture problems and how to make some easy changes
- Every inch of head forward puts 10 pounds of pressure on your spine
- One traditional exercise that instantly and easily improve balance
- How fear of falling puts you at risk for falling
- Why you should consider hiking with roots, rocks and things you need to step over
- When to walking like a penguin is a good idea