Investing in Deep Tech for an Abundant Future
Could deep tech companies bring about an age of abundance? Matt Ocko, co-founder and managing partner of Data Collective Venture Capital, joins Azeem Azhar to explore the art of investing in startups that aim to transform entire industries with radically cheaper, cleaner products.
They also discuss:
- Why establishing “computational advantage” is key to a successful deep tech approach.
- How AbCellera, one of Matt’s portfolio companies, used machine learning and extensive automation to swiftly develop an antibody therapy for Covid-19.
- How investors should judge the right time to invest in a new technology.
- “Materials Built by Microbes: A Revolution in Materials Science” (Exponential View, Podcast 2020)
- “This College Professor Became An Overnight Billionaire Fighting Covid” (Forbes, 2021)
- “With fresh support from its billionaire backers Pivot Bio is ushering in a farming revolution” (TechCrunch, 2020)